Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Romantic Comedies

By Stargirl

I’ve always been a fan of romantic comedies. I devoured the formulaic plot with so much passion. Awkward girl meets interesting (yet complicated and enigmatic) guy who immediately catches her eye. Imperfect world ensues, and for some reason sets them apart. Girl finds herself in the arms of an equally gorgeous, loving, stable, (yet plain and predictable) man-- who also in the end selflessly lets her go and wishes her happiness with interesting guy. Well, it is something like that or some close derivative. (Think “The Notebook”, “Sweet Home Alabama”, “Serendipity,” to name a few)


You're bored Allie. You're bored and you know it. You wouldn't be here if there wasn't something missing.

Perhaps the reason why I crave romantic comedies so much is that sometimes, my life is like a romantic comedy. I know that I’ve only gone through about a quarter of my life. But I feel like being in 20’s, I’ve already gone through a lot—in life and in love. My child-like wonder, openness, enthusiasm and honesty allow me to experience life in its entirety. To traverse unfamiliar territories. To explore and meet diverse personalities. To challenge myself into doing something new. And sometimes to be brutally honest even if it hurts.

Stay with you? What for? Look at us, we're already fighting

College was the place for me to dive deeper into the depths of who I really am and to be open to sharing this with someone. I found my first real crush, my first real relationship, my first “thing,” and finally my first real love. (Yes, they are all different.)

But, unlike romantic comedies, love in life is utterly raw and uncensored. With the glitters and the sparkles of love and sweet words, come the possible pain of abandonment and disillusionment, of betraying and being betrayed, and finally, of moving on. Unlike romantic comedies, these experiences don’t pass overnight. They don’t get cleared up after a few sobs or tears, instantly after a phonecall from your bestfriend or a hug from your new beau. They come and they leave in their own time, sometimes catching you off guard and off script, as life intends them to. Days, months, years…

Well that's what we do, we fight...I'm not afraid to hurt your feelings. The maturity and freedom that went with exercising my passion and earning my own paycheck didn’treally eliminate these emotionally-laden events. Trust me. I may be wiser and more experienced than before, but finding new love and transitioning from the old still came with its accompanying heartache, as fresh as I experienced it the first time.

I guess that’s how it is when you’re passionate about life and love, when you’re honest with yourself and when you’re brave enough to disappoint another just to be true to your own soul. It’s honest but it’s never easy, it’s messy, it’s intense, it’s emotional and it’s downright heart-wrenching. I guess what I’m trying to say is that, I didn’t mean to hurt you. (Yes, you.) You have been nothing but kind and loving and selfless with me even until now that I did hurt you. And I’m sorry.

There is no easy way, no matter what I do, somebody gets hurt.

Obviously an (ended) chapter in my romantic comedy-like life is still open. Never as I have imagined it and just as sharp as I experienced it. But maybe that’s just how it should be for now. (‘Cause it’s just how it is, and no amount of mental gymnastics can ever instantly change that.)

But. I also have faith that time heals. Not romantic-comedy-fast, but slowly and steadily. I have faith that it will all make sense just like how it does now,when I look back at my seemingly-ages-ago college years, and the lessons and gems they added to my life.

I believe in serendipity, in choices and chances, in the help of friends, in the hope of new love, and (blurry as it may be for now) eventually happily ever after. So it's not gonna be easy. It's gonna be really hard. We're gonna have to work at this everyday, but I want to do that because I want you. I want all of you, forever, you and me, everyday. Will you do something for me? Just picture your life for me? 30 years from now, 40 years from now? What's it look like? If it's with him, go. Go. I lost you once, I think I can do it again. If I thought that's what you really wanted. But don't you take the easy way out.


No comments:

Post a Comment