Friday, July 27, 2012

Breathe in, Breathe out

By Janessa Villamera

Turning twenty can be a big deal to most people, especially for my case: I'm about to end my last teenage year.

Others say that age is just a number but why should one fear getting old if, in fact, it's not the same as growing up? Indeed, maturity doesn't come with age; that's why a constant reminder of acting your age is essential yet again, it's not enough. 



I tend to contradict the decisions and plans that I make for myself. Basically, I know what I want to do and how it should be done but most of the time, I end up doing things that are based on sentiments rather than considering the proper state of thinking.

Come to think of it, at this point in life, I have gathered the most essential thoughts that could help me (and probably others) as I go on to becoming a twenty-something.

1. "Take possession of yourself" - First of all, it is important for you to know who you are and by doing so, keep in mind that you take yourself as yours. Speak your mind and guard yourself from harm to let people know that nothing could happen to you without your very own personal permission. True enough that nobody could step on you if you do not allow them to.

2. "Choose your battles" - It's given that we go through hardships and with this, we usually forget how classy we should stay, how educated we are and how proper our reactions are meant to be because of letting the simplest things slip away. Like the old adage that says, "mind over matter." Well, let me put it this way: there comes a point where I get tired of arguing even about the simplest detail - not to let go of my defense, but it's just nonsense.

3. "Choose your friends" - To admit, I am really independent that I can go places by myself. Considering that I'm the eldest among three daughters, I learned not to depend too much on others. I choose to keep only the ones who are worth keeping. They might be few but at least, they are for real. Few friends means less drama, right?

4. "Career vs. Love" - If there's one thing that I could ever tell my 10-year-old self, that would be the fact that "feelings often lie." Never settle, indeed. Why not be busy with making a name for yourself instead of stressing over why you're the only one who's single in a room full of couples? After all, opportunity only comes once in a lifetime and if that's true love, it could wait forever.

5. "Step out of your comfort zone" - When was the last time that you did something for the first time? Have you been sticking to your habits? It's never too late to do anything new to know more of yourself. Clear your heart and mind and remember, spontaneity is the key.

Maybe the reason why I forget the basics at times is that I have never been afraid to get hurt. I say that I would limit myself to this and that but after all, I end up considering the things that life has to offer. If I didn't, I wouldn't be where I am today.




(Janessa is turning twenty in less than a month. [Fact: Her birthday is on August 19, same as her mom's.] As part of her preparation for the change, she maximizes her last teenage year by doing things that are definitely out of her comfort zone to finally face the label of being twenty-something.)

No comments:

Post a Comment